Monday, May 3, 2010

Choose your own adventure

I'm not a big believer in fate. I feel as though I need to have control over my destiny; however, I think that our lives are similar to a "choose your own adventure" book. We have choices, a few of them at a time, and each choice sets forth various scenarios into motion. Do we decide to knock on the door of the spooky old mansion, or try to look around the backyard instead (from one of two of my privately owned adventure books)?

Likewise, I feel as though my life has been based on a series of choices I've made - all leading up to one definite conclusion. I haven't reached that conclusion yet, but I've definitely ended (or began) another chapter.  Let's retrace our pages here...

Final page (so far): The girl lands a job in a small, northern Wisconsin school, miles from all she's known and loved (and something resembling love), to live in sin with her sort-of long-term boyfriend (I say sort-of because a year and a half is not, by any means, long - but there is infinite potential). Back track to the last page with her choices.

Third option: The girl graduates from college with honors from a music education program. Choose to apply to schools which are fitting to your preferences, or choose to apply to schools near your boyfriend. Back track another page with choices.

Second option: The girl is stuck in a school that seems too big and too generic for her tastes; though, all her friends are here, and she's pretty close to home. Choose to stay in the big city, or transfer to start a music degree program at a smaller school. Back track to yet another page with choices.

First option: The girl's parents trust her to make the right decision. She is torn between keeping up and adding on to her music studies in high school and going out for sports, which all her siblings have chosen ahead of her. Choose to stick with music or go out for a sport. Back track to the beginning of the story...

A girl in a small town with a large family has several challenges in front of her. Her parents tell her that she is expected to participate in many extracurricular activities such as band and basketball.  She, of course, knew it was coming.  All her brothers and sisters before her followed the same path - all she had to do was walk in their footsteps. Turn the page.

The only thing you can't do with these "adventures" is change one of your previous choices, which, I'm not inclined to do at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Could be worse Jules. Sometimes you just need to roll with the proverbial punches and accept that some things are beyond your control. Count your blessings. I won't bore you with the details of my year's journey, but I think you'll be ok.

    ReplyDelete